More than 34 children have allegedly been killed in Syria since the UN-brokered ceasefire between security forces and opposition fighters officially took hold last month.
“Since a truce was agreed on April 12 … and despite the deployment of United Nations ceasefire monitors, more than 34 children have allegedly been killed,” the UN special envoy for children and armed conflict, Radhika Coomaraswamy, said on Tuesday, May 2.
“I urge all parties in Syria to refrain from indiscriminate tactics resulting in the killing and wounding of children.” [Reuters]
Al Jazeera’s Steve Chao has more:
New York-based Human Rights Watch (HRW) has accused government forces of going on a killing spree in opposition areas at the same time that officials in Damascus were sitting down with former UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan to negotiate the terms of the truce in March and early April.
“Everywhere we went, we saw burnt and destroyed houses, shops and cars, and heard from people whose relatives were killed. It was as if the Syrian government forces used every minute before the ceasefire to cause harm,” said senior HRW researcher Anna Neistat.